Friday, October 17, 2014

Live Blog from GETMusic Festival - Friday Night

I have been so excited about the GETMusic Festival since I heard about it in Spring 2014.  As a music teacher in a small Catholic school, I am so very appreciative of this opportunity for my two sixth grade sopranos.  They need to be inspired by other musicians who are passionate and powerful.

My former school was closed by the Archdiocese and I am in my third year at my present school. The music program at my former school was fabulous.  My students started with me in cherub choir and from there we built a beautiful liturgical choir and outstanding Music Theatre Program.  Two of these singers are presently Music Majors in college.  These two musicians had a profound effect on everyone else because they immersed themselves into whatever we were performing and sang with the deepest expressiveness any of us had ever seen.  Their passion caused a chain reaction in the growth and development of my program that I had the privilege to witness.   It was truly a gift to watch young musicians inspiring one another.

When I started at my new school two years ago, I had to start from the beginning again.  Of course, the first order of business was to start a school choir.  I knew the junior high students would be "too cool" for choir and, just as I expected, the students who were interested in choir were 3rd thru 5th graders.  We have been working hard and we are developing steadily.  But these students who are now 5th thru 7th need to make a shift to the next level and they need the experiences and the vocal modeling to help them.    

I am deeply grateful to all of the people who have worked so hard to make the GETMusic Festival possible.  I realize how much sacrifice and energy that has gone into the planning and organizing of this tremendous event.  The young singers see the dedication and value that is placed on their music-making and it creates a powerful, lasting impact on their musical futures.  I know that this event will serve as a life-changing experience for my young singers and for this I will be forever grateful.

 - Elise Malizia, Our Mother of Consolation Parish School

No comments:

Post a Comment